Smoothie Time!

I love smoothies, but the cost of going and having someone else make it for me can get quite expensive. I always saw blending to be such a chore for some reason, but recently decided that I wanted to give it a try and see if I could incorporate smoothies into my diet. I struggle with getting fruits and vegetables into my diet partially because I try to only buy and budget for what I need for particular recipes, so getting extra ingredients for something that I may not eat because I'm not hungry usually results in a waste of money. However, I do know that I struggle with eating breakfast. I am NOT a morning person. If I am going to have something for breakfast it's either because my husband was nice enough to make it for me OR it was something I could just pick up and eat like a banana or some other fruit I can just grab. Then again, since I don't usually budget for fruit and mostly focus on lunch and dinner recipes, I end up not having anything fast for breakfast and being that I'm not a morning person anyway, I tend to slug my way through the morning until I can finally feel like eating which is typically around 11AM.

This isn't healthy for me and I know it! So I am trying to change this, one delicious smoothie at a time. I dusty off my blender that gets used on rare occasions and made a trip to the grocery store with a minimum list so that I didn't overwhelm myself with too many options. Here is how I came out!





In total with taxes I spent around $17. So far I have been able to conquer a smoothie every morning for the past two mornings and I am sure I can get another week if not a little bit more out of my stash, so as far as feeling like I would spend too much, it comes out to about $1.88 a day or perhaps a little less if I stretch out my recipes a little bit more. Currently I am enjoying about a cup of froze fruit, a cup of spinach and kale, about a half a cup of almond milk or less, a half to a whole banana, and a few pieces of ice to add a little bit of water. I have yet to try the peanut butter, but I am thinking a banana and peanut butter smoothie would taste good. 

This is what my concoction looks like! It could probably be a little smoother, but I'll need a new blender for that. It tastes surprisingly delicious considering there is spinach and kale in it! But then again, spinach and kale don't really have a strong flavor so I am not sure what I was expecting. I think I will add more next time!



I have seen some recipes that call for chia seeds, protein or other additives and I am not quite ready to take that kind of plunge, but eventually I hope to venture into adding more healthy options to my smoothies. For now, I will continue to push myself to have breakfast every morning. I have struggled with not eating breakfast since I was a kid, so I have a lot of years of habit forming to undo and redo. 

Until next time! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment